But what a glorious few days it was. The Grand Del Mar. Run, don't walk, and get thee there however you can. You may need to rob a bank to do it, but believe me, it's worth it. I have no idea how I will accomplish it, but my goal is to return several times a year if possible for a couple of long weekends during the year and an entire week in the summer. Yes, it's that special. And for those who know my discriminating taste, that's saying something.
We pulled in on a Monday afternoon, the air a balmy 85 degrees due to the resort being set 5 miles inland from the coast.


Our room wasn't quite ready, so we waited in the lobby after first drinking fresh-squeezed mango lemonade and munching on warm-from-the-oven shortbread cookies.

We then took a walking tour of the property, which is old-world elegance bathed in modern amenities. Set amongst lush greenery and hills, it feels like you are in Tuscany even though you are a mere 10 minutes from the beaches of Del Mar.



A vantage point looking out toward the golf course.

View of the lawn area outside the patio dining of the main restaurant.

The rooms were equally elegant and spacious, with windows above the soaking tub in the bathroom that could be opened to allow a view into the bedroom area.


On our patio.

View outside to the right of our room, with a trickling fountain. Hills were to the left.

So excited to be there, Lauren asked if she could jump on the bed.

Who could refuse?

We threw on our swimsuits and rushed to the main pool area to capture the last warm rays of the afternoon sun.

Then retreated to our room for showers and Lauren's first-ever room service meal.

**************************************************************
I was sure that the later than usual bedtime for the little one would ensure some extra z's for both of us on Tuesday morning. Instead, I was awakened to the below message written by our budding genius on the dry erase board I had purchased for the car ride down.

It wasn't even 6:30 a.m. yet. I was not exactly thrilled, as if you couldn't guess.
We dined each morning in the restaurant at an intimate table of Lauren's choosing, just inside the patio area, where she could discreetly gaze at all the activity and we would discuss our plans for each day. Creatures of habit, we both had the same breakfast for 3 days running: fresh melon, pineapple and berries for both of us to start, light buttermilk pancakes for her, and a scrambled egg dish I couldn't get enough of, with chicken apple sausage, asparagus tips, scallions and an aged cheese similar to parmesan.

Then it was back to the pool area, where my parents joined us for a few hours of swimming and lounging.

Lauren spent the day working on her handstands .......

Ballet legs.......

Shoulder lifts .......

Wall stretches ......

Cuddles .......


And caught up on her reading.

We had drinks and lunch poolside before it was time for my parents to make their way back to Laguna.

We loved having them there, even for a few short hours.

On the way back to the room, Lauren couldn't resist the temptation to pose (something she did repeatedly throughout our stay, which just reinforced to me how completely free and comfortable she felt in the environment).

We went off campus for dinner that night, to a little Italian place, where we shared calamari and both splurged on a little pasta. Then back for some t.v. and snuggling before dosing off before 9 p.m.
*****************************************************************
Wednesday morning, we made good use of the hotel's free van service to shuttle us to the beach and set us up with umbrellas, chairs, towels and cold water (they even had sand toys!). We were joined by another family with a 2-year old named Johanna. They had just moved from Scotland and were enjoying some r&r before making their home in Palo Alto, where the husband was going to be a professor of Arabic at Stanford! Our connection with them was immediate, and we spent several hours together on a perfect beach day (cloudy but warm until the last hour, when the sun broke through). I even bodysurfed a few waves, something I haven't done in years.




Sand angel.


I Heart You (and don't ever forget it!)

Three hours at the beach was perfect (at least for me, think you may have received another answer from the 6-year-old among us), and we were chauffeured back to the resort. It took a lot of convincing to get Lauren to spend a couple of hours that afternoon at the kids club (called the Explorers Club) so I could head to the adult pool for a proper workout.

Outfitted with a sea wall she could draw on, and plenty of crafts and other fun activities, she finally acquiesed (note: she didn't want to leave when I came to pick her up)

Mama not only got her workout, but a fresh berry mojito to boot.

Wednesday evening we dressed up and engaged in proper fine dining at the resort restaurant.
Posing yet again.


To start our meal, we shared a butter lettuce salad with bleu cheese and onion strings (she actually liked it despite the look on her face).

I relaxed with a wonderful glass of Pinot Noir (the bottle was only present for the photo; I still am a lightweight, after all).

It was a special meal with my grown-up girl.

As I finished my wine, Lauren became fast friends with two sisters at the next table over, and they proceeded to bound down to the lawn to play and work off their meals.



As the three of them were running around, they spotted a cute little boy across the way coming out of his room onto the patio. I heard a series of shrieks and giggles, then saw intense pointing by the girls. As I approached, it became abundantly clear what the commotion was all about. The 4-year-old decided he didn't want to wear clothes. Or underwear, for that matter.

Soon enough, his mother forced him to put on some shorts and he proceeded to join the girls in their frolicking fun on the lawn.
********************************************************
On our last morning there, one of us woke up to a serious case of bed head.

Lauren begged to return to the Explorer's Club instead of spending our final hours at the pool. I was shocked but thrilled how much she loved it.
We walked in to see none other than the little boy from the evening before (this time, fully clothed). I went and had some strong coffee while relaxing outside with the newspaper and when I returned, the two of them were engaged in a fierce dance-off to X-Box's Dance Dance Revolution program.


Needless to say, our girl kicked his clothing covered a**.
A couple of more snapshots before checking out, and then we were on the road, headed for home.


Yes, our getaway was short, but so very sweet. Dreaming about when we can go back.
No comments:
Post a Comment