Thursday, July 10, 2008

Where Is She Learning These Things?

Lauren is turning into such a little girl right before our eyes. Since returning from Hawaii, I've had the pleasure of spending two full work days by myself with her and it's been great. We've had some terrific mother/daughter time this week. We've done lunch, swam in our pool, watched videos, and just hung out and gabbed. She talks sooo much and is so expressive. Some of the things she is saying and expressions she is using are surprising, to say the least. Case in point: for a few months now we've been giving her pennies to throw into fountains and make a wish. She LOVES fountains, can't get enough of them. On Monday of this week we went to a fountain with frogs close to our house and she loved straddling the concrete frogs and sticking her hands in the stream of water coming out of their mouths and spilling into the fountain. I gave her a penny to throw in. She's got the full technique: kisses the penny, closes her eyes, then elegantly tosses it into the water. I asked her for the first time what she wished for. Her response? "A man." I'm not kidding. My mouth hit the ground - where did she pick that one up?? Then today we were at a well known nursery by the beach to look for pots and patio furniture, and she was in heaven with the dozens of fountains all over the grounds. I gave her another penny to throw into one of them, and asked the same question again to see if she would give me the same response. No such luck. Her answer this time to what she wished for? "A diamond." What the heck? Now how a 2-year-old identifies men and diamonds as her priorities is beyond me. I swear I haven't been drilling those thoughts into her. Now when she's 25, that could be a totally different story . . . . . . . . .

Here are a couple of pics of our visit to the nursery this afternoon, relaxing by a fountain, of course:
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments: